Sunday, 24 October 2010

Spices of Goa

Being welcome with flower petals at Sahakari Spice Farm, Goa
Virtually all tourists in Goa spend a major part of the time one the beach sunning themselves, while sipping drinks and watching the kids try para-sailing and jet skiing. But when they get tired of the beach and want to do something the next most touristy thing to do is to go visit one of the several open-for-visitors spice plantations located a few kilometres inland, complete with dining halls, visitor centre, souvenir shop and guided tours.

Each plantation is visited by hundreds of visitors each day, so you can debate the "authenticity" of the farm as an actual commercial spice farm rather than as a tourist spot. Nevertheless, it actually still makes for a very interesting trip. The plants and spices are real enough and the guides at Sahakari Spice Farm (at least ours) were knowledgeable and friendly. My mother in particular enjoyed seeing the origins of the many everyday spices, like cardamom, pepper, coffee, ginger, cinnamon and many others that come in little glass bottles back home in Europe.

Our guide showing us a type of nut
Plantation worker demonstrating
how to harvest coco and cashew nuts

Turmeric fresh out of the ground

Vanilla as it looks when still on the tree



Coffee Plant
















Cocoa plant popular with red ants

The plantations are homes to countless of these huge but harmless banana spider



My sister sampling the locally brewed cashew nut-based liquor, Feni

Rikke and Ole took the opportunity to take a ride on the plantation elephant

3 comments:

Pranav Sharma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dhruv kohli said...

Esben, I am truly amazed by your blog. just a month or so back I came across an American in Hauz Khas village,Delhi while I was exploring the place. He was on the verge of shifting to India and so he could travel the most of it throughout his life. He surely saw much more of India than me. He told me his wife is 27, they stay in NYC and she's been to statue of liberty just once that too a couple of years back. Well this shows we never give importance to what we have at the moment.

India never fascinated me but by going through your blog and I surely have realized that India is truly awe-inspiring and beautiful .
Not to forget your photography is remarkable. :)
You seem to have loved India more than any of us. :)

Good luck.

Esben said...

Hi Dhruv,

Thanks for your very nice comment. I'm really glad that I managed to inspire a little awe for this truly amazing country that is India. Sadly I will be leaving the country in a few months and moving back to Europe for the first time in 6 years, but I know I will be back to India sooner or later.