Saturday, 12 July 2008

Old Delhi Dusk

Dusk sky behind Jama Masjid (Great Mosque) in Old Delhi

Some time back (in fact just after the gay pride parade mentioned in my previous post) we went to Old Delhi for dinner. Coming to this part of town really is like going to a different city altogether. Being nothing like spacious, leafy New Delhi, Old Delhi is condensed, crowded, dirty, gritty, fascinating and just steeped in history and tradition. We came just as the great mosque was calling the area's many Muslims for prayer and a colourful dusk light was creating good opportunities for pictures. Me and Nitoli have now agreed to come back here more often.

Freshly cooked food right there in the street.

Evening traffic in front of the southern entrance of the Jama Masjid.

7 comments:

Oxhomiya Jeet said...

Hi Esben,

Your photo of the food vendor reminded me of going to Mohammed Ali Road in Bombay for dinner just as Muslims broke their Ramzan fast. The crowds... the traffic... the noise level. The auto poluution. Unbelievable. But, like flies, we were drawn to the totally wicked food. And was it ever cheap?! Even the generally unhygenic environment didn't deter us. I remember three of us starving young musicians could pig out for under Rs.25! Biryani, some sort of meat dish, daal, sabzi, little kababs that they served by the cupful (!), huge fluffy tandoori rotis, phirni for desert... oh man, I'm killing myself writing this stuff!!!

Jeet

Oxhomiya Jeet said...

Ouch... on re-reading my comment after hitting the post button, I was mortified by my thoughtless reference to the forbidden beast for Muslims. Especially in the context of the post. No offence was intended.

Jeet

Esben said...

Jeet, it sounds to me like you need to take a trip to India soon!

goan said...

Hello, i was just blog hopping and came upon yours. Its a nice blog you have out here.
I noticed your survey for honey moon locations and wanted to suggest one which is not in the list. Have you been to Goa any time? As my Id suggests, I am from Goa. Its a beautiful place with lots of pristine beaches, temples, churches and forts. Known for its party atmosphere..Sept to Feb is a good time to go there.

Esben said...

Hi Goan,

Thanks for your comment, and yes actually I have been to Goa, although Nitoli hasn't. However we did go to the islands in Thailand together, which have much of the same feel.

You can see my old posts from Goa here: http://eagersnap.blogspot.com/search/label/Goa

chinnaa said...

Hi esben, Your blog was nice and informative with lot of texts and photos. keep it up. Don't forget to visit me at //chinnaascritiques.blogspot.com
http://chinnaastips.blogspot.com
http://chinnaascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Thanks

Raju K Gohain said...

Great blog man... keep it up and by the way Where is ur Dzukou valley post ????