Sunday, 20 May 2007

Bhaktapur

The third major town in Kathmandu Valley is Bhaktapur, also once the capital of an independent Kingdom. It is easily the most charming town I visited in Nepal.

One of Bhaktapur's major landmarks is the impressive 5-storey Nyatapola Temple, which is the highest in all Nepal.

What makes Bhaktapur truly great is not just the architecture, but also the fact that it is one of very few virtually traffic free cities. The roads are mostly too narrow for cars to enter the town and the streets laid with bricks, so you get a very nice walking street experience that is otherwise hard to find outside Europe.

I was in Bhaktapur on a school holiday, so everywhere I ran into smiling children, including this beautiful girl...

...and her brother. Notice the earrings.

I was also followed around by these girls, who wanted to show me around.

And here the same girls are posing for the camera on some old sculptured elephants.

Another picture displaying elephants, in this case a particularly humorous one with a couple of Elephants in the missionary position with trunks interlocked.

More erotic art, which is exceptionally prevalent in Nepal. Here a lady seems to be washing her hair while doing something else also. I know women are supposedly good at multitasking, but I think this is taking it to an extreme.

As with Patan and Kathmandu, Bhaktapur also has a Durbar Square. Since most buildings here were destroyed in the great earthquake of 1934 it seems very bare compared to the other Durbar's, although the more airy feeling is not all together a disadvantage. The white building ont he left is the old royal palace.

Some colourful tourists at the square, here seen from a slightly different angle (The stone Temple is the same as in the picture above).

Bhaktapur has many nice squares. One of the really cosy ones is Tachupal Tole, which you see here. The dominating building is Bhimsen Temple and in front is a dance platform and a column with a big lion on top.

Another Square with a very obvious name: Potter's Square. Most of the square is filled with clay pottery left int he sun to dry.

Old lady by an old gate.

A very typical Bhaktapur with lots of detail. Click to see further details. By the way I have changed my pictures format a little bit, by lowering the resolution. If you have clicked on my pictures before the enlarged picture might have been way too large to fit your screen, but now it should be mode moderately sized. If you miss the old high resolution pictures let me know, but for now I think this is an improvement. Also takes up less of my precious storage space.

1 comment:

Sundeep said...

Very good pictures, I'm missing India myself, most of the housing structure in the northern parts resemble this especially in very old towns and villages. Keep up the good work!