Tuesday, 24 October 2006

My Neighbours, the Bats

In the area in which I reside we are fortunate enough to have a major bat colony living with us. Last night they were all flocking around one of the nearby fruit trees,so I went down and took some pictures of them. Click on any of them to enlarge and see more detail.

A wonderful view of the bat's famous wing profile.

Just after take-off from the fruit tree.

The bats only stay in the tree for a few seconds, so I have no very clear pictures of that. This was my best attempt. If you cannot spot the bat picking up fruit, please enlarge the picture.

The bats you see are fairly big, compared to the ones you might see in Denmark. But we have a couple of much larger Giant Fruit Bats which can have a wing span of up to 1.65 metres! When they fly around over the park they look more like predatory birds such as eagles or falcons than bats. Only the characteristic shape of the wings give them away. It is a truly majestic sight, and if I do manage to get close enough to them to take a photo I will be sure to post it here.

No comments: