Saturday, 30 September 2006

Jammerbugten - the Dune Heath

The dune heath is a very special landscape type found mostly in Denmark and a few other places. The sandy dunes are completely covered in low vegetation, providing a very special atmosphere here.

The dune heath is a very varied landscape consisting of of dry plains, moist hollows, shallow lakes and dune formations. This is a very "hilly" part of the local dune heath.

Here the dunes are larger and more rolling. It is my father in the red shirt walking towards the sun baked part of the dune heath.
A higher plateau of the Dune Heath with some slightly different plants.

Humans have come here for eternities. Here I am at the entrace to a many hundred years old burial mound , which would be hard to see if you didn't know it was there.

A close-up of some of the charactiristically purple vegetation of the dune heath.

2 comments:

The Egalitarian Brahmin said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous country! I will keep these sites in mind for when I visit Northern Europe/Scandinavia.

Esben said...

I'm happy you like these pictures from my home country. Please do visit.