Thursday, 13 July 2006

Visiting an Older Generation

As I wrote in my previous post I will now introduce my mother's aunt Søs - who painted the two last pictures you see in my previous post. Earlier this summer my mother took me to the northern island of Mors to visit her for the first time in 20 years - since I was 6 years old.

Aunt Søs is 91 years old but still very energetic and active both physically and mentally. She is very curious about the world and asked me a number of questions about my stay in India. She was herself a bit of a traveller in her youth. Just after World War II when she was a young girl, she spent a year in England, which was an adventurous and bold thing to do at that time. The world was not as small then as it is today, and even the language barrier must have seemed incredible at the time.

Here my mother is sitting in Aunt Søs' living room. I like this picture very much because it shows a living room that seems to be a forgotten remnant of a time long since disappeared. Certainly the decor is very different from the contemporary, minimalstic Scandinavian style, which is so common in Denmark these days. Here, by contrast, the room is full of furniture and filled with decorative paintings and fanciware. This is a reminder of a time when room was tight and there was no tv or computers. So if you wanted something to look at during those long winter nights you had to hang it on your walls or put it on your shelves.

1 comment:

The SeaWitch said...

Great post Esben. Besides the fact that you introduced your readers to your Aunt Sos through your blog, I especially liked your last paragraph...
"So if you wanted something to look at during those long winter nights you had to hang it on your walls or put it on your shelves."

What an astute observation. I bet everything in her living room has a story as well...wedding gifts, something given to her by a special friend, something picked up on a vacation half a century ago. So often these days, in our obsessions to create an aesthetically pleasing living space, we forget the 'life' itself. Thanks for reminding us.