Wednesday, 12 April 2006

Another Great National Park: Kaziranga (Day 1)

After Jaldhapara I went straight to another magnificent National Park: Kaziranga, in the state of Assam. Assam is situated in the Indian Northeast,the part of Indian tucked in on the other side of Bangladesh, bordering also Burma and China.

Like Jaldhapara, also Kaziranga is famousforits rhinoceros population - and here there are even more of them. In fact about 1700 one-horned rhinos (2/3 of the world's wild total) live right here in this park. The rhino on this picture did not lose its legs, it is merely walking around in shallow water. Notice the white cleaning bird on its back.

One of the most bizarre animals I've seen. Some sort of giant lizard with a very strange face. Click the picture to have a proper look at it.

A flock of wild elephants (3 adults two babies) having a sunset bath.

And finally an exceptionally lovely view as the setting sun hid behind the cloud formations on its way down behind the horizon. A beautiful end to a beautiful day.

1 comment:

Asim Choudhury said...

Hi Esben!

Glad to see that you were in Kaziranga in Assam. I am from South Assam and its feels great to see a german visit my state.

Right now I am a D.Phil researcher in Delhi University, India and I am exploring ways in which blogs are helping people to network. I would be delighted if you could pull off some time off your busy schedule and visit my research blog at http://nmsoc.blogspot.com and write about something your blogging experiences. Right now, as you can see in my blog, I am interested to learn how you got into blogging.

In case you do not feel like submitting your writeup on my blog directly, you can email me at newmedia.soc@gmail.com.

In case you feel I can interview you through e-mails, do dash me a mail at my aforementioned address. I will get back to you.

Thanks!

Asim