Saturday, 11 February 2006

Working Bollywood AND Hollywood in 24 hours

I came to Bombay (now officially called Mumbai) and within a day or so I had been contacted on the street by a casting agenty who wanted me to be an extra in a Bollywood movie. The pay was ridiculous, but I decided to do it anyway solely for the sake of the fame.

Here I am dressed to play the role of tough London Cop Keith Drummond, who will take his position guarding the Prime Minister of India in a hotel hallway while talking to his collegue Sam Anderson. Unfortunately Keith couldn't find a hat to match, so it's a little bit small and also he didn't get the right London Police colours. But that's okay, not many amongst the Bollywood audience will know the difference anyway.

A shot from one of the sets, this one inside the presidential suite of a five star hotel, supposed to be in London. This movie is being made by a very famous director and producer, and allegedly will be a top 5 movie when it comes out in about 6 months. It doesn't have a title yet, but I expect it will be easy enough to identify it when it comes out.

So you think working in the entertainment business is all glitz and glamour? Us movie stars don't have it as easy as you think. All the time you have to wait for the next shoot - or in my case I had to wait for 12 hours for my ONLY shoot. I should be on screen for about 3-5 seconds and for that I spent an entire day from 8:00 in the morning to 22:30 in the night. On the picture above you see some of my co-London cops trying to pass time while waiting to go on.

The following day I was assigned to help out at the set of an american low budget feature film called Outsourced. I don't get to be in the actual film unfortunately. My role was to be stand-in for the hero of the movie (a guy who apparently gets outsourced to India where he falls in love with a local and then has to deal with such a relationship across cultures and distance). Not on film that is, but when they were setting up every new scene. A lot of equipment has to be moved and the director has to constantly be able to see how this affects light, view, colour, frame, angles etc. It was interesting to see how a low budget American movie was considerably more high tech and more time consuming to make than a high budget Indian movie. And the lunch was better to. It was also amusing to see the american crew trying to control the local enviroment. As you can see on the picture above, the movie was shot in a public space and the tapings would constantly be interrupted by dogs, birds, honking cars, naughty children and randomly yelling old ladies.

1 comment: